Friday, November 9, 2012

Dropping the FB-Bomb


Hello and happy Friday,

I won't be putting up a Faceballs or a Spatchcock cartoon this week.  I'm just too far behind on my book (almost 8K words, should be almost double that).  But, since it is Faceballs Friday, I have a FB related question.

Is it polite to speak up in a Facebook post when it's a person you have recently met and they are having an ongoing discussion about a political matter you disagree with - when all the people responding are just finding different ways to agree?  I understand (now) that it's probably not a great idea if you want to remain friends, but is it socially rude to speak one’s mind in the face of inflammatory political commentary, when everybody else seems to agree with the commentary?  It feels a little like laughing at a racist joke rather than pointing out its ignorance.

And why do people post their opinions if they don't want to actually discuss them?  It's like farting in the supermarket and walking to the end of the isle to watch the reactions of your fellow shoppers.

And you think I didn’t know you did that.   Tsk tsk.

Thank you for your eyeballs.

-          DJ


1 comment:

  1. Hmmm.....polite? I don't know. But also, I don't think it is impolite if done with respect. FB etiquette is still in its infancy. Perhaps people speaking up with respect to debate an opinion will help to shape the final answer to this particular question. Farting, on the other hand, can seldom be considered respectful. Even from the other end of the grocery aisle :)

    ReplyDelete