Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Songwriting Lessons From the Avett Brothers: Part 2

Ola.  Late last year I posted a piece about how the Avett Brothers were influencing my approach to song structures.  I promised more when the songs were completed and, from a songwriting point of view, they are.  I feel they are two of my strongest to date, and what I called at that time "Saddle Up" has turned into a very fun song to play, though I imagine it coming from a woman, now, which, alas...I am not.

So, three points to touch on.  First, I need you to think about checking out my Kickstarter project - video below.  It won't take long, and a few bucks might make the difference between getting me into the studio or not.  

Now, of these two songs, one will actually be included in this album.  This one my kids sort of helped write.  Check out that story in the original post, but what resulted is a fairly short, simple song I feel packs a nice punch, both in the stick-to-your-heart melody department and the stick-to-your-brain lyric department (both of these departments are located in the back near the restrooms, if you were wondering).  In part one I mentioned the Avett-inspired approach makes it more difficult to build the bridge.  In this case, I wrote a chord progression that is requesting a solo.  I may just forgo the bridge entirely.  Anything I've written has detracted from the simple power of the verses.  Here's a preliminary recording. 

As you can hear, the lyrics changed in minor ways, but the basic flow and structure has stayed he same.

The next song I mentioned was, "Go F*** Your White Horse", formerly called "Saddle Up".  The title is a joke and comes from the front side of the pre-chorus (or part B if you view the song as having 3 parts, A, B and C) "Go find your white horse".  I used the same approach to the lyrics and overall song structure, and this time I even used a rhythm very similar to a popular Avett Bro's tune.  The chord progression is backwards and in a different key, but it's there.  Points to anybody who guesses which song.  No, I'm not risking breaking new ground musically here; I'm just looking to put together a solid song that lets the lyrics shine.




I call the "B" section a pre-chorus because, while a bridge does usually bridge a verse (or a solo) to a chorus, it represents more of a deviation from the pattern established by the verses and choruses.  In "White Horse", that portion of the song is very much part of the pattern (A,B,C/A,B,C).

A: Verse 1
Can the fight end when we lay down our heads
Or when we wake up will we wake up the dead
Do you find strength in the wars that we wage
Or do they like me just fill you with rage

B: Pre-Chorus
Go find your white horse yeah
Go find it today
Go find your white horse and  
We'll ride out of this place

C: Chorus
Maybe in the saddle we can find a way
To save this thing instead of saving face
But I've had all of these matters I can take for one day
Saddle up, it's make or break

A: Verse 2
Does the night end when we raise up our heads
Does a light end when we bury the dead
Do you find strength in the walls of this cage
Or do they like me just fill you with rage

B: Pre-chorus
Go find your white horse yeah
Go find it today
Go find your white horse and
We'll ride out of this place

C: Chorus
Maybe in the saddle you will find your grace
Match the fall of that horse's gait
But I've had all of these battles I can take
Saddle up, let's take a break

That's it, folks.  Thanks for your eyeballs.  And for your backing - watch my video below, click the link, get involved!

No comments:

Post a Comment